The  14th N.C. Regiment

The 14th North Carolina Home Page

Company Rosters &
  Roll of the Dead

Biographies of officers and men of the
14th N.C. Regiment

Company Profiles
Profiles of the companies that comprised
 the 14th N.C. Regiment

Major Battles
Major battles in which the 14th N.C. was engaged and links to additional battle information

Other Links
of Interest

Sites with references to the 14th N.C. Infantry

The biographies, profiles and obituaries provided on this page have been sent in, for the most part, by the descendants of men who served in the 14th North Carolina. They are listed in alphabetical order.  

If you have information that you would like to submit for consideration for inclusion on this page, please E-mail it to

 Allred, Clemmons M. - Private, Co. B

Clemmons M. Allred, Company B, 14th NC Troops, was born in 1834 and died 1918 in Jackson, TN. He is buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Jackson. 

Clemmons drew a Confederate Soldier’s Pension as did his last wife, Etta T. Hardee. Those pension applications are on file with the TN State Library Archives. 

C. M. fathered eleven children; the first two born in NC, the last was born in TN.  My Grandfather, Roland D. Allred, was his second son born in 1871. 

Information provided by: C. M. Allred’s great-grandson, James Lee Allred of Imperial, Missouri.


Bennett, Risden Tyler - Colonel, 14th N. C. Regiment

"Soldier Statesmen" June 18, 1840 - July 21, 1913

Risden Tyler Bennett, the 12th and youngest child of a prosperous Anson County, NC., plantation owner and preacher, was noted from an early age for his sharp intellect. When 17 years old, Bennett made a journey to the West, where he reported staying with Indians and viewing the Rocky Mountains. He also told the story of attending a funeral at which they "lost the corpse and had to go back three miles to find it; everybody was drunk but me and the corpse." Bennett returned to the East and, after earning a law degree from Cumberland University, began the practice of law in Anson County in 1860.

An ardent believer in Southern rights, Bennett enrolled as a private in Company C (Anson Guards) in April 1861. Fifteen months later, at the age of 22,, having demonstrated sound judgment and ability as a leader, he was promoted to colonel of his regiment, the 14th North Carolina. Bennett and the 14th faced their baptism of fire at the Battle of Williamsburg. From then to the end of the war, they found themselves in the hottest areas of some of the Army of Northern Virginia's hardest-fought battles. They charged up Malvern Hill, lost their colors in the valiant defense of Bloody Lane at Sharpsburg, and were a part of Gen. Stonewall Jackson's flank attack that routed the Union line at Chancellorsville.

The regiment also fought the first day at the Battle of Gettysburg, helping to rout the federal force. Positioned adjacent to the Mule Shoe at Spotsylvania, Bennett led his men in a daring charge on the morning of May 12, 1864, recovering and stabilizing the Rebel lines. Later that year, not yet recovered from his fourth wound (which he had received at Cold Harbor), Bennett had two horses shot out from under him at Winchester and was captured on September 19, 1864, while struggling to lead his men on foot. Bennett was confined at Fort Delaware, Del., until he was transferred to City Point, VA., for exchange on February 27, 1865. Fascinating Fact:  A powerful and dramatic orator, Bennett resumed his law practice after the war, became a judge of the North Carolina Superior Court and served in the U.S. Congress. He died in his native Anson County in 1913 at the age of 73.

Information provided by: Brian Crow, Pittsburgh, PA. Colonel Bennett is his
Great Great Uncle, brother of his Great Great Grandmother, Ellen Jane Bennett.



Burrows, James Archibald - Sergeant, Co. A

Jamey Burrows (or "Baldy" as his fellow soldiers referred to him) was born in 1841 in Warren County, NC.  He was enlisted in the regiment on July 6, 1861 at Camp Bragg, Virginia, by Capt William Johnston, company commander, with the rank of private.  He was listed on company muster rolls as present for duty from time of enlistment up to May 5th, 1863, when he died of wounds received on May 3rd during the battle of Chancellorsville.  He had received a promotion to 5th Sergeant on Oct 1, 1862.  He was listed on a Roll of Honor for the regiment, and the roll entry says he fought in the battles of Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Boonsboro (MD), Sharpsburg, and Fredericksburg.

In a letter to Baldy's brother, dated May 10th, 1863, Zachariah Shearin (the company First Sergeant) wrote "...thinking you would like to hear something about your brother, who fell with the mark of bravery defending the country and those he loved so dearly..."  Shearin added, "...Baldy went in like a lion, appeared like he did not matter death or danger.  Though his appearances showed and his talk before he went into the fight that he would get killed or wounded so bad that he would die."  Shearin closed with, "...I have to relate Baldy died with the hope that all ought to have, he said he was going to heaven, and I must think he is there."

The letter was written at Hamilton's Crossing, VA, near Fredericksburg.

In a letter written by Baldy himself, date unknown, he offered the following verse:

And if my guide should be the fate,
Which bids me longer roam,
But death alone can break the ties,
That tie my heart to home.

In memory of a southern soldier, lost to history.
Information provided by: Jeffrey Nash, whose great-great grandfather was James Archibald Burrows' brother.


Dennis, George Washington - Pvt., Co. K

George Washington Dennis was born February 18, 1826, in Montgomery County, North Carolina. October 9, 1858, he married Martha Frances Smart in Montgomery County. They had a family of eight children; three were born by the beginning of the war.

July 16, 1862 George Dennis enlisted in Wake County for the war.

June 4 - June 15, 1863 he was hospitalized with Typhoid Fever at General Hospital No. 21, Richmond, Virginia. Returned to duty.

Present and accounted for until July 3, 1863, when he was captured at Gettysburg, PA. Taken Prisoner of War, he was transferred to Point Lookout, Maryland. October 15-18, 1863 he was confined at Point Lookout. December 27, 1863, USA Small Pox Hospital at Point Lookout. February 20-21, 1865 transferred to Boulware's and Cox's Wharf, James River, Virginia for exchange. February 28, 1865, Private Dennis was reported present with a detachment of paroled and exchanged prisoners at Camp Lee near Richmond, VA.

It is my understanding that George Dennis was also wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg, in the arm and shoulder. His records on micro film are barely legible and I couldn't find a report to help validate his injury occurring at Gettysburg. The information came through family oral history.

In 1877, George moved from Montgomery County, NC, to Davie County, NC, where he farmed and raised his family.

March 30, 1903, George died after a period of declining health. He is buried at Liberty United Methodist Church, Gladstone Road, Davie County, NC.

Information provided by: Artie Hinson, whose G-G-Grandfather is George Dennis.


 Gudger, William McRee - 2nd Lieutenant, Company F

William McRee Gudger was born 10 October 1841, in the Swannanoa Valley of Buncombe County, NC. He was the fourth child (and one of fourteen!) of James McRee Gudger and Sarah Ann Murray Gudger. William married Mary Jane Shope on 22 April 1866, and they had nine children. William was a farmer and he and his family continued to live in the Swannanoa Valley after the War.

 At the start of the War, William and the area Buncombe County men enlisted in Company F, 14th Regiment, NC Volunteers, known as the "Rough and Ready Guards" of Buncombe County. He was nineteen years old at the time of his enlistment. The date of the Company F organization is given as May 3rd, 1861, in Asheville, NC. The "Roughs" were initially commanded by Zebulon Baird Vance, who led the Company on the trek to Morganton, where they embarked on a train to Raleigh, and then on to the training camp in Garysburg, Northhampton County, NC. William is listed as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Muster Roll of Captain Philetus W. Roberts (who succeeded Zebulon B. Vance) for the period beginning December 31, 1861, and ending February 28, 1862. The copy of the Muster Roll that I have is only that portion which appeared in a newspaper article, and the actual ending date on the document is cut off. However, the newspaper article states the ending date as Feb 28, 1862. (The "NC Troops" compilation conflicts with this date of William's election to 2nd Lieut.; see next paragraph). The article also states that the Muster Roll was prepared at Fort Bee, VA, on February 28, 1862, after P.W. Roberts succeeded Zebulon B. Vance as Captain. The article states that the 14th Regiment moved to Fort Bee in Isle of Wight County on the James River, west of Norfolk, in autumn of 1861.

 The original Muster Roll is in the John Evans Brown Papers in the State Dept of Archives and History in Raleigh, NC. [Source: "Buncombe 'Roughs' In Last Charge At Appomattox', by George W. McCoy, in the Asheville Citizen-Times, December 24, 1961. ] According to the compilation in "NC Troops", William was mustered in as a Private at age 19, promoted to Corporal on April 25, 1862, promoted to Sergeant on December 10, 1863, and was elected 2nd Lieutenant on October 5, 1864. [Source: North Carolina Troops, 1861 - 1865, Volume V, p 445; Roster compiled by Louis H. Manarin, Raleigh, NC, State Dept. of Archives and History.]

William had other family members with him in Company F. His brother, Charles C. Gudger, was a Private who died in the hospital at Lynchburg, Virginia, 9 July 1862, of "typhoid fever". Their cousins, James M. Gudger and Dr. David M. Gudger, were also in the Company. James was elected 2nd Lieutenant on or about 4 May 1861, promoted to Captain on or about 27 April 1862. James was wounded at or near Seven Pines, Virginia, 23 June 1862. He rejoined the Company in March-April 1863, and was present or accounted until he was wounded again at Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia, 12 May 1864. James was then reported absent wounded through 25 February 1865. According to a statement in Clark's "Regiments", James "was fearfully wounded and entitled to a discharge on account of the disability, but held on to his boys until the war was fought out. There was no man in the army of the South of his rank who was more reliable as an officer and soldier." Dr. David M. Gudger was a Private, he was wounded at Malvern Hill, VA, 01 July 1862, and survived the War. [Source: North Carolina Troops, 1861 - 1865, Volume V, p 445; Roster compiled by Louis H. Manarin, Raleigh, NC, State Dept. of Archives and History.]

William was present at Appomattox and was paroled there 9 April, 1865. He survived the war, and went home to Buncombe County. William is buried next to his wife Mary Jane at the Berea Baptist Church on Lower Grassy Creek Road near Swannanoa, NC.

Information provided by: Kate Brady, whose great-great-grandfather is William McRee Gudger.


Harmon, A. N. - Pvt., Co D.

Alexander Norton Harmon Pvt. enlisted in Co. D at Orange Court House, Virginia, March 28, 1864 for the war. He was present or accounted for until wounded in the face at Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864, after which time he was reported absent wounded until retired to the invalid Corp on January 12, 1865. Alex is the brother of John Jacob Harmon, also of this company.

Information provided by: Bryan David Smith, whose great-great-great grandfather is John Jacob Harmon



 Harmon, John Jacob - Pvt., Co. D

John Jacob "Jake" Harmon was born on September 27, 1837 in what is now Cleveland County, North Carolina to Haywood Harmon and Mary Katherine Branton Harmon. He Enlisted in the "Cleveland Blues", Company D of the 14th Regiment North Carolina State Troops, at White Plains, Cleveland County, North Carolina on April 26, 1861 and was Mustered in at Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina on June 10, 1861. John "Jake" was listed on Company Muster Rolls as a Musician from September 1861 to December 31, 1862, and for the remainder of the War he was listed as Pvt.. He was present or accounted for until wounded in Battle at Chancellorsville on May 3, 1863 and absent wounded Until August 10, 1863 when he was reported absent without leave. John rejoined Company D prior to November 1, 1863 and was present or accounted for until paroled at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, April 9, 1865. His brother, Alexander N. Harmon, joined this company in March, 1864.

After the War, John lived on Buffalo Creek, Cleveland County, North Carolina and attended church at El Bethel and also Patterson Grove. John Jacob Harmon died on October 30, 1904 and is buried in the El Bethel United Methodist Church Cemetery in Kings Mountain, North Carolina.

Information provided by: Bryan David Smith, whose great-great-great grandfather is John Jacob Harmon



 Henry, Julius Articus - Corporal, Co. C

Julius A. Henry enlisted on 22 April 1861 in Wadesboro, Anson Co., NC at the age of 26, listing Occupation as an artist. He volunteered in the 14th North Carolina Infantry, Co. C, “Anson Guards" as a private.

He was present present or accounted for until wounded with a contusion at Chancellorsville. He rejoined the company before July 1, 1863 and was present at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was promoted to Corporal on December 19, 1863.

He received a head wound in battle near Chancellorsville, VA May 12, 1864 ( Spotsylvania C. H., The Bloody Angle). After being wounded, he stayed in the hospital and in Jan. 1865 was a Ward Master at the General Hospital Camp Winder in Richmond (the hospital was near present day Byrd Park Lake / The Boulevard ) by authority of General Lee.

He surrendered himself to the Union army on April 17, 1865 and signed a Parole of Honor. He died about 1878 in Hanover County, VA.

Information provided by: Jeff Talley, whose great-great-grandfather is Julius Articus Henry



Johnston, William A. - Lt. Colonel, 14th N. C. Regiment

The following obituary comes from the November 10, 1898 edition of the "Roanoke Times", Weldon, North Carolina.

Col. W. A. Johnston

Colonel W. A. Johnston, one of the leading citizens of Littleton, died at his home in that town last Thursday morning at 2 o'clock from a stroke of paralysis. While the news was not unexpected, yet it came as a great shock to his many friends in Weldon and surrounding country.

Col. Johnston served with the distinction throughout the civil war. He enlisted when the first call was made, going out in May 1861 as a captain of the “Roanoke Minutes Men.” He was twice wounded in battle, once at Chancellorsville and for special gallantry in that fight he was promoted to Colonel of the 14th North Carolina regiment, and no braver soldier ever drew a sword. After the war Colonel Johnston settled down at his home in farming and merchandising since. At one time he successfully conducted the Central Hotel, at Littleton, and as a host he has been excelled by non who have followed him in the line of business.

He was a man of fine personal qualities, well informed on the leading questions of the day and was an uncompromising Democrat. For many years he was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was regular in his attendance up to the time when by reason of a failure of health he was confined to his room.

The funeral services took place Friday afternoon and the great concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends attended the love and esteem in which he was held. Bill Johnston Camp Confederate Veterans (named in his honor) turned out and formed an escort to the grave. Col. Johnston was also a Mason of high standing and after the veterans had filled the grave to a certain extent it was left to be completed with Masonic honors.

He was conscious in his last hours and took an affectionate farewell of his children saying he did not fear death at all. He entered the Shadow of Death and crossed over the dark river with the same courage and grace he evinced on the field of battle.

He leaves seven children who have the prayers and sympathy of all. Fatherless and motherless, as they now are, there is One who neither slumbers nor sleeps and He will wipe all tears from faces and comfort then in their sad bereavement.

The News joins in with the large circle of relatives in Halifax County in expression of sympathy, and while the tears of the dear children are falling thick and fast and their hearts are all bruised and broken, we can only point them to the Rock That is Higher than I,” for Behold “He careth for them.”

Submitted by Rebecca (Becky) Leach Dozier, who is Lt. Colonel Johnston's Great-Granddaughter.



Kepley, Andrew - Private, Co. I

Andrew Kepley was born in Davidson County, NC on 14 February 1837 the son of Matthias Kepley and Elizabeth Younts Kepley.  Andrew was confirmed to the Evangelical Lutheran Church on 17 May, 1856. He had at least one brother, Mathias. In 1859, he married Neaty Hedrick and they had two children, Elizabeth, and Andrew H. Kepley, born 8 September 1862, just 29 days before his father’s death. 

Andrew was a farmer until he enlisted in Wake County, with his brother Mathias, on 16 July 1862, for the war.  He was present or accounted for until wounded at Sharpsburg, Maryland, in the engagement at Bloody Lane, on or about 17 September 1862.  He was taken to the hospital in the Methodist Church in Shepherdstown, Virginia where he died of his wounds on 7 October, 1862.  He is buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.

Submitted by Joni Everhart, whose G-G-G-Grandfather is Andrew Kepley.



Kepley, Mathias - Private, Co. I

Mathias Kepley was born in Davidson County to Matthias Kepley and Elizabeth Younts Kepley.  He had at least one brother, Andrew.  Mathias enlisted, with his brother, Andrew. in Wake County, on 16 July 1862, for the war.  He was present or accounted for until killed in the engagement at Bloody Lane, Sharpsburg, Maryland, 17 September, 1862.

Submitted by Joni Everhart, whose G-G-G-Uncle is Mathias Kepley.



Kinney, Pvt. Alfred Douglas & Cpl. Berry (a.k.a DeBerry) Robby - Co. D

The following is quoted directly from  The Heritage of Davidson County, NC 

"Alfred Douglas, son of Rev. Alfred & Elizabeth Kinney was only 17 when he volunteered for service in the Confederate Army. He had been fighting for about 3 years when during a Battle at Spotsylvania Court House his brother, DeBerry, was shot and killed. The two brothers were fighting side by side. Suddenly, DeBerry cried out, 'Oh Lord, I am gone!' and dropped to the ground. He died almost instantly. A. D. said afterwards that in the confusion and noise of the battle it took him awhile to realize what had happened."

"When night came and the fighting ceased, A. D. took a horse blanket and shovel and crept back to the battlefield. He didn't dare stand up straight because the Yankees would shoot anything they saw moving; so from a kneeling position he spent the night digging a shallow grave. There, wrapping the horse blanket around the body of his eldest brother, he buried him on the battlefield where he had fallen. DeBerry was 30 years old and single. Two of A. D's brothers had not given their lives in this conflict, for two years earlier Alexander Robby had died form gangrene in a bullet wound in his leg."

"A little over 3 weeks later, Pvt. A. D. Kinney, 14th Regiment N. C. Inf. (Volunteers) became a "Prisoner of War". He was captured 30 May 1864 at Mechanicsville, Virginia (Christopher Watford's Civil War Roster of Davidson County, NC states 'captured at Bethesda Church, Virginia on May 30, 1864'). From there he was sent to White House, Virginia, then to Point Lookout, Maryland, then to Elmira, New York. He arrived on 11 July 1864. While in prison in Elmira, A. D. wrote a letter home telling what had happened to him at this place. It seems he and several other prisoners got real hungry for some good food and managed to slip into the storeroom where they helped themselves."

"This theft was soon discovered. As punishment they were stripped to the skin and forced to wear wooden barrels in place of clothes. For several weeks, during daylight hours, they lived in those barrels -- their heads protruding from the top and their legs sticking out at the bottom. It was a trying time for them, but a source of amusement to the other prisoners."

"After about a year, Alfred Douglas, through an exchange of prisoners, was returned to his regiment. A short time later the war ended, and he made his way back to his home in lower Davidson County. He was one of the lucky ones, coming home sound of body and mind. While in the army, he had measles and was confined to camp for a few weeks; a troop train he was riding fell through a trestle near Raleigh and the injuries he received put him in the hospital for a brief time. Once during a battle, a bullet struck him in the chest and knocked him to his knees. While still in this position, he took out his pocket knife, dug out the bullet, got up and went back to fighting."

"A. D. was an unusually strong and healthy man. Never, after returning from war, until he lay on his death bed, did he require the services of a doctor. He never needed eye glasses and died with all his teeth intact. When he was in his 80's he bought and drove his first automobile, and at the age of 84 was arrested for speeding."

DeBerry R. Kinney is buried at the Spotsylvania Confederate Cemetery in the North Carolina Section, Row #1, grave #1. A. D. Kinney is buried at Lick Creek Baptist Church in Davidson County, North Carolina.

Information provided by: Frank Alan Willis, whose great-great-grand-uncles are
Pvt. A. D. Kinney and Cpl. B. R. Kinney.


Martin, Joseph B. - Sgt., Co. E

The following obituary is quoted directly from the March 20, 1914 edition of the "Raleigh News and Observer", Raleigh, North Carolina.


Veteran Railroad Man of Raleigh Closes Active Life; Funeral at 4 p.m. Today

Joseph Byron Martin, veteran railroad man and one of Raleigh’s first citizens, died yesterday morning at his home on Halifax street.

Mr. Martin had not been on the streets since April of last year his trips downtown have been infrequent since his accident three years ago on the spot now known as the Raleigh Banking and Trust Company’s handsome building. Throughout the year he has steadily declined, but the last several days saw every evidence that he could not live but a few days.

He was born seventy years ago fourteen miles from Raleigh, near Mt. Pleasant church. He attended Wake Forest two years and volunteered for the Confederate service. He followed the command of Col. Risden Tyler Bennett, that picturesque jurist, soldier, scholar and writer. Colonel Bennett was the lasting friend of Mr. Martin, and the death of the Wadesboro man brought one of the hardest of the afflictions in the days of Mr. Martin’s waning strength.

When Colonel A. R. Andrews was superintendent of the Seaboard, Mr. Martin was his clerk, and throughout the Andrews administration held that position. Colonel Andrews left the Seaboard, but Mr. Martin declined to go. Remaining in that service thirty years and rising to the position of general auditor, the dead man retired with the rarest tribute of the employees’ homage, respect and love. A gorgeous silver service presented publicly to him so moved him that his acknowledgement was impossible through the overcoming of tears.

At that time, Mr. Ernest Martin, the only son, was running an engine on the Seaboard and the father sought to take him from the hazard of that work. He built the Martin Hosiery Mill and put his son in charge. The two have been its life and have made it go. A portion of the elder Martin’s service with the Seaboard was spent in Portsmouth, though he retained his Raleigh residence. In point of accomplishment he deserves entirely to be called one of the foremost citizens of Raleigh, and his devotion to the town entitles him to that characterization.

The marriage of Mr. J. B. Martin took place in 1867, Miss Valeria Weathers being his bride. They have lived together the forty-seven years and Mrs. Martin survives him. Three grandsons likewise live after him. They are Joseph Martin, aged seventeen; Maury Martin, aged fourteen, and William Allen Martin, aged fourteen months. One sister and one brother also survive.

He was as devoted to his church as to his business and carried his religion into his work. He was a member of the First Baptist church and from that place the funeral will take place this afternoon at 4 o’clock. Rev. Dr. T. W. O’Kelley, pastor, officiating. The pallbearers will be Messrs. T. R. Terrell, C. B. Edwards, John E. Ray, W. J. Andrews, Charles U. Harris, A. A. Thompson, and R. N. Simms.

Copy of obituary provided by: Ed Martin, whose Great-Grandfather is Joseph B. Martin.


Mize, Burgess Henry - Private, Lexington Wildcats, Co. I

Burgess was born in 1838 to John and Elizabeth Mize. He worked as a farmer prior to volunteering for service on May 14, 1861. Burgess was wounded at Malvern Hill, VA, on July 1 1862, and was absent, wounded, until he rejoined the company in May 1863. He was reported present until supposedly captured on May 19, 1864. After the war, Burgess returned home to the Reedy Creek area, where, in 1888, he married Jane. Burgess and Jane would have 4 children, Mattie (1891), Betty (1893), Sidney (1894) and Albert (1895), before moving out of the county in 1905. No further records."

Information provided by: Minda Stillion.

"These are bios I ran across while researching my Mize family in Davidson Co., NC.
As it turned out, they are not in my direct line."

Source: "The Civil War Roster of Davidson Co., NC" by Christopher M. Watford,
McFarland & Co., Inc of N
FHL # 975.6 M2wc p. 166 1196.


Mize, John - Private, Lexington Wildcats, Co. I

John was born in 1843 to John and Elizabeth Mize. He worked as a farmer prior to volunteering for service on May 14, 1861 John was reported present until wounded in the hand and fingers 1 June 1864. He was treated in a Richmond, VA hospital and returned to duty on June 14, 1864. John was reported present until captured at Petersburg, VA, on April 3 1865. He was confined at Hart's Island, NY, until 17 June 1865, when he was released after taking the oath of Allegiance. After the war, John returned home to the Reedy Creek area, where in 1869, he married Caroline. John and Caroline moved to the Boone township in 1870, and would have three children, Henry Clay (1871) Hidora (1874) and John (1878). John died in the 1880s and was buried in an unmarked grave at Shiloh United Methodist Church." As a matter of interest, both Burgess and John enlisted on the same day in the same unit. Must have been hard on their widowed mother.

Information provided by: Minda Stillion.

"These are bios I ran across while researching my Mize family in Davidson Co., NC.
As it turned out, they are not in my direct line."

Source: "The Civil War Roster of Davidson Co., NC" by Christopher M. Watford,
McFarland & Co., Inc of N
FHL # 975.6 M2wc p. 166 1195.


  Morgan, Noah W. – Private, Co. K

Noah Morgan was born about 1838 in Montgomery County, NC to John and Phoebe Bean Morgan. Noah enlisted on July 16, 1862 in Montgomery County, NC into the 14th North Carolina Infantry, Company K as a Private.

Noah and the rest of the new recruits loaded up on a train to join the Army of Northern Virginia somewhere in Virginia. The 14th North Carolina Infantry went along with the rest of the Army of Northern Virginia to Maryland to participate in the Battle of South Mountain. Just a few days later Noah and the 14th North Carolina Infantry fought at the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862 which was the single most bloodiest day on U.S. soil because there were nearly 23,000 casualties. At Antietam the 14th North Carolina Infantry fought at the Sunken Road also known as Bloody Lane. Many soldiers died at the Sunken Rd. Noah very luckily survived Antietam. However, Noah got sick sometime after fighting at Antietam and was transported by train to Lynchburg, Virginia where many Confederate hospitals were at. Noah later died there in Lynchburg at Ford's Tobacco Factory from "Congestion of the Lungs" on December 8, 1862.

According to the undertaker’s notes Noah Morgan was 6 feet 4 inches tall. He was buried on December 10, 1862 in Old City Cemetery in Lynchburg. His headstone says, WM – K 14 NC, but the W is a mistake because the undertaker put too long of a tail on the word N for Noah and the headstone maker thought it was a W.

After Noah died his wife Rebecca Beaman Morgan and his young son John Calvin Morgan moved to the small community of Backusburg in Calloway County, Kentucky along with Noah's parents John and Phoebe Morgan after the Civil War ended. Noah’s wife Rebecca and his son John are buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery near Backusburg in Calloway County, KY. Most of Noah’s descendents still live in Calloway County, KY today.

Information provided by: Clint Forth, whose GGGG-grandfather is



Purser, Hugh - Private, Co. H.

Hugh Pusser (Purser) of Union Co., NC was the son of David Purser (son of John Purser and possibly Susannah Cuthberson, daughter of David Cuthberson) and Anna Mullis.  David died around 1832 and Anna remarried to John Rushing.  John raised the four boys and he and Anna had three sons.  The tragic events for Anna Mullis Purser Rushing is that she lost five sons during the War Between the States; two of David's and three of John's.

   In the beginning of the War Between the States, Hugh showed concern for his new country, The Confederate States of America, by supporting the cause with the purchase of war bonds.  In 1863, Hugh was ordered by Conscript Officers Valentine Smith and William B. Hinson to get his affairs in order and to report to the Confederate Army.  The act was probably in reaction to the disaster events at Gettysburg that July.  On September 8, 1863, Hugh made his will leaving all to his wife, Mary Frances, with the condition that if she remarries all the processions will be sold and the money divided equally between his wife and children.

  Hugh and his brother-in-law, Jacob Austin, traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina by rail.  They arrived at Camp Mangum (now the site of the State Fairgrounds and Meridth College for girls) and were enlisted on October 8th, 1863 by Colonel Mallet for three years into Company H, 14th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry (a Stanley County unit).  Hugh was present during muster except on January 16th, 1864.  He was admitted to the Confederate Hospital at Charlottesville, Virginia due to dyspepsia.  Before the start of General Grant's campaign of May 1864 into the Wilderness, Hugh returned to the ranks.  Four days later on May 8th, 1864, Hugh's unit, after a long hard march, came up in reserves to help defend the crossroads at Spotsylvania, Virginia.  At 5 O'clock in the evening of May 8th, Hugh was killed during a Confederate charge to drive the enemy back.  The official records indicate that Hugh Pusser was the only soldier killed in his Brigade during this charge.

  Exactly one month later on June 8th, 1864, Mary Frances gave birth to their tenth child.  He was named Hugh Pusser, Jr.  In 1871, Mary Frances married Calvin Mullis, widower, who had three sons that married three daughters of Hugh and Mary Frances Pusser.  Soon after this marriage, Hugh's items were auctioned (seven years after his death) and all moneys divided between Mary Frances Mullis and her nine remaining children.

Hugh Pusser's oldest son also served with the Confederacy during the war as a member of  the N.C. Junior Reserves.

Information provided by: Charles Purser, whose GGG-grandfather is Hugh Pusser.


Roberts, Hugh Kerr - Pvt., Co. D

I had a relative who served in the 14th, Company D, beginning in Oct. 28, 1863. At least one source says he enlisted in Oct. 28, 1861, but none of those muster records survived. The earliest stuff I have says '63, and I have drawn records from about everywhere I can (Rowan Co. Library, National Archives, Broadfoot, plus some).

H.K. (Hugh Kerr Roberts) was captured at Third Winchester by Sheridan's men and sent to Point Lookout POW Camp in MD's Chesapeake, where the survival ratio was worse then Andersonville in GA. Third Winchester was in mid Sept. 1864, and H.K. survived from then until release at Cox's Landing in the James River on Feb. 13 or 14, '65 (Just in time for Valentine's day . . . what sweethearts!). (I joke that Sheridan hadn't yet heard that Point Lookout was no longer a vacation resort -- which it had been. But Point Lookout was NO joke as a POW camp).

H.K. was born in '21 so was part of that older group brought in to replace people. And the 14th needed plenty of replacements, particularly from gaps in the unit created at Antietam's bloody lane, and at Gettysburg. H.K. lived before and after the war in Cleveland Co., NC, where he had a post office. H.K. is buried in Antioch Baptist Church Cemetery.

H.K.'s son Jasper Newton Roberts served in the 2nd NC Jr. Reserves, the unit that did so well at stopping Sherman's northbound army at Bentonville for awhile. Jasper survived the war.

H.K.'s brother Walter Raleigh Roberts served in the 34th NCST, again as a later member due to his age (40s). Walter Raleigh Roberts was captured and spent time in, I believe, Harts Island NY. Walter also survived the war and is buried in the Carolinas.

Information provided by: James Stone, whose ancestor is Hugh Kerr Roberts.


Shankle, Claudius A. - First Sergeant, Co. H

Claudius A. Shankle was born about 1836 in North Carolina. Claudius was the son of Henry Shankle and Selina Pennington. Claudius fought in the Civil War in North Carolina's 14th Regiment, Company H. He was mustered in as a sergeant and advanced to First Sergeant on 27 April 1862. He was wounded 29 April 1863, hospitalized at Charlottesville, Virginia with a gunshot wound to the right arm, 23 October 1864 and furloughed 60 days for wounds 21 January 1865. He married Eliza Jones Allen on 25 April 1866, the widow of Captain John Christian McCain, who died at Gettysburg. To them were born a boy and then four girls. His son Henry Dewitt Shankle graduated as a medical doctor from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore in 1889 and is named in honor of his uncle Dewitt Shankle, who also served in the 14th and who died of wounds received at Chancellorsville.

Claudius Shankle died in Stanly County, North Carolina in 1902. 

Information provided by Bert Shankle, whose great great grandfather is Claudius A. Shankle




Welborn, Lamma - 1st Lieutenant, Co. B

Commissioned officer 1st Lt. Lamma Welborn was born on Dec. 1, 1836 to Pricilla Wood Welborn (Oct. 3, 1803 - May 13, 1885) and John Welborn (?) of Trinity, Randolph County, NC. He was the twin brother of 2nd Lt. Calvin H. Welborn of Co. L, the 22nd NC Infantry Regiment. At the time of his enlistment, Lamma was a student at Trinity College.  He enlisted on April 23, 1861 as part of the 4th NC Volunteers Infantry Regiment days after the Confederate Congress drafted all white males between the ages of 18 and 35. He was mustered as a private and quickly rose through company and regimental ranks. Lt. Welborn was promoted to Corporal Dec. 19, 1861 and to Sergeant Jan. 11, 1862, twenty-three days later. Col. Risden Tyler Bennett spoke highly of Lt. Welborn and considered him a man of worthy conduct. Lamma's notable and worthy behavior earned him the elected position of full Lieutenant, April 25, 1862.

As far as records go, Lamma was wounded just prior to the Battle of King's Schoolhouse, Oak Grove, VA and later died of a "fever" in the Richmond Military Hospital, June 26, 1862. His body was returned to Trinity and interred in Hopewell Cemetery [headstone], near Hopewell Methodist Church. He is buried next to his mother Pricilla Wood Welborn and near his twin brother, who survived the war.

Lt. Lamma Welborn is my great-great uncle, brother to my maternal great-great grandfather.

Information provided by Eric Scholler, Raleigh, NC



Williams, Robert - Private, Co. F

I am the proud descendant of a member of the 14th Regiment, NC Troops. My G-G-Grandfather, PVT Robert Williams from Buncombe County, NC, served in Captain Zeb Vance's Company F ("Rough and Ready Guards") from 1861-1865. He was actually born and reared in Sampson County, but moved with his sister, mother and step-father to Buncombe County in the 1850s.

He was wounded in the knee at Chancellorsville, but returned to duty sometime thereafter, despite the wound's crippling effect on his leg. He is not listed on the surrender roll at Appomattox, and I suspect his being married on April 14, 1865 back in Buncombe County may account for that. Don't know if he was home on leave by unit authority or his own.

I think he was a brave and faithful soldier. If he decided after nearly four years of bloody fighting and a wound that crippled him for life to not take a chance on rotting in some Yankee prison after the inevitable surrender, then more power to him. He had done his part, and more.

Included here is a link to a photo of Pvt. Williams in uniform. The picture is also on file with the North Carolina Division of Historical Resources (State Archives), Raleigh, NC.

 I know he was active in his reunion group after the war. He is the tall gentleman holding the flag in this second linked photo. A distant cousin in Maryland has a small ID tag with his name and unit engraved upon it, which I have been told was associated with reunions.

He died in 1914 and is buried at Sharon Methodist Church in the Fairview Community of Buncombe County.

Information provided by LTC (Ret.) Sion H. Harrington III whose great great grandfather is